Thursday, June 9, 2011

Download This and Thank Me Later



Yeah, it's hot outside.  Here's something even hotter for you from the Dirty South.



I'm mad at how much I'm loving Big K.R.I.T.'s latest mixtape, ReturnOf4EvaYeah, I'm a couple of months late, but I had to share.  It's just a lil' somethin'-somethin' to bump in your tricked-out Geo Trackers and Amigos this summer.    
Sorry--my roots are showing--that kickin' bass in "Country Sh*t" took me back to 1995 for a minute...

Big K.R.I.T.'s southern-fried but often introspective lyrics are definitely changing the game.  He spins tales of the Mississippi blocks with a lot of heart--even the most hardened haters of southern rap will be able to appreciate his style.  If you like Outkast (I'm probably one of the few people willing to admit that I liked them better when they were thugged out) and UGK, you will definitely be a fan of Big K.R.I.T.

You can skip "Amtrak," but the rest of the mixtape is sure to be on heavy rotation.  D.C.'s own Raheem DeVaughn even appears on "Players Ballad," a smoothed-out, Marvin Gaye-influenced track.

These beats are just begging for a good cookout.  Good to know that there's still hope for hip-hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment