Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Inner Nine-Year-Old Made Me Post This

Really.

She threatened to make me sick by stuffing herself full of cupcakes, Rice Krispies treats, Laffy Taffy, Jolly Ranchers, Pixie Stick powder and Nerds unless I told you that "Jem" is back on TV.

Yes, that Jem, the cartoon from the '80s.  It's on the Hub network, and out of nostalgia, I tuned in for a few minutes yesterday.  I remember my mom telling my younger sister and me that she thought our watching the show led to some of our knock-down, drag-out fights on the weekends.  In her eyes, those trouble-making Misfits were a bad influence!

While watching, I came to the realization that some stylists and designers may have had Jem, the Holograms and the Misfits on their inspiration boards recently.  Take a look and see for yourself.  A number of the featured outfits would not look out of place at hipster or socialite-glam focused stores (Urban Outfitters, Topshop, even BCBG!), or on a lot of today's pop starlets.  I'm looking at you, Katy P and Rih-Rih.  Even boring Jerrica's fashions make her look like an on-trend Marc Jacobs muse.  And Shana was rocking the purple asymmetrical 'fro before all ya'll went natural.

The next time my wardrobe needs some vintage flavor, I might sneak another peek.

Now, where did I put my jelly bracelets?  

No comments:

Post a Comment