Tuesday, July 5, 2011

deep.honey's Old School Soul Playlist

deep.honey flew down to the Deeeep South last weekend for her dad's 60th birthday extravaganza.

However, she forgot that she was supposed to be DJ'ing the festivities, and had to make an On-the-Go iPod playlist from some '70s and '80s classics in her collection (good R&B is timeless).  Her audience was mostly 50+, after all.  One 21st-century hit was slipped in for the few Gen Y attendees.

These hits turnt the lakeside cookout out:
  1. Before I Let Go, Frankie Beverly and Maze
  2. I'm Still in Love (With You), Joe Gibbs
  3. Best of My Love, The Emotions
  4. I Want to Thank You, Alicia Myers
  5. Stir It Up, Bob Marley and The Wailers
  6. Groove Me, King Floyd
  7. Mothership Connection, Parliament
  8. The Glamorous Life, Sheila E
  9. Just Fine, Mary J. Blige
  10. I Like, Guy
  11. I Wanna Be Your Lover, Prince
  12. Jungle Love (Live), Morris Day
  13. Clean Up Woman, Leela James
  14. You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, Lou Rawls  --Don't hate...one of the best "get ta steppin!" songs of all time.
  15. I Want Her, Keith Sweat
  16. Brick House, The Commodores
  17. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough, Michael Jackson
  18. Rock With You, Michael Jackson
  19. Haven't You Heard, Patrice Rushen
  20. Boogie Shoes, K.C. and the Sunshine Band
  21. I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing, James Brown --So funky and fierce.
  22. For the Love of You, The Isley Brothers 
  23. My Cherie Amour, Stevie Wonder
  24. Master Blaster (Jammin') Stevie Wonder
  25. Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours, Stevie Wonder
  26. Do I Do, Stevie Wonder
  27. All I Do, Stevie Wonder
  28. As, Stevie Wonder
  29. Summertime, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince
  30. Super Bad, James Brown
  31. Mary Jane, Rick James
Could've slipped some "Funky Space Reincarnation" in, but was worried about what that could unleash--nobody wants to see their middle-aged relatives doing a slow grind, so no Marvin was on the list.   And you know deep.honey's mom and her friends just had to close it out with some slides... 

Feel free to share your cookout playlists!

No comments:

Post a Comment