Friday, November 12, 2010

Playlist for Positive Thought

I've been in a violet mood for the past few weeks.   Not quite all the way blue, because I've experienced so many career-related blessings recently, but still bluish due to my just feeling lethargic.  Maybe it's a case of "it's really fall now" blahs.

Adding to the violet is all of the depressing news re the state of the Black family, including an out-of-wedlock birth rate of over 70% and low test scores for Black boys

Mix into the palette Mr. Perry's continued depiction of Black women as largely tragic, abused, desperate, and downtrodden.  Don't worry, I didn't purchase a ticket to witness the dysfunction--the commercials for FCG were depressing enough.

I need a media fast.

I'm emerging from the funk though, and have decided that we all need a playlist to promote positive thought.

deep.honey's Grooves for Positive Thought (tm)  ;)

1.  Marvin Gaye's classic album, What's Going On.  It's vocally and musically flawless, and when you hear it (listen to it all the way through, no breaks) and consider all that we're going through as a race now, you realize that our issues are nothing in comparison to what our parents, grandparents and great-grands experienced throughout most of the 20th century.  We have a lot to be thankful for.  Be sure to check out "Inner City Blues."  Much love to my cousin C.C., serving in Afghanistan.

2.  Mary J. Blige's "Be Happy."  An anthem that unites all of the sisters of Generation X.

3.  Janet Jackson's Design of a Decade.  I dare you not to groove and sing along to your elementary and middle school faves.  Bonus pts. for anyone busting a move from Control-era videos.

4.  Arrested Development's "Revolution."  Raise a fist, ya'll.  Why don't they make conscious lyrics like these anymore? 

5.  Jill Scott, "Golden."  So affirming and full of love.  You are whole.  Cherish this moment in your life.

6.  The Commodores, "Brick House." Because I am, and many of you probably are, too.  Love your curves.

7.  Aly-Us, "Follow Me."  Optimistic house music.

8.  Alicia Myers, "I Want to Thank You."  Yes, you can find lasting love with your strongblackman if you keep your wits about you and pray really, really hard.

9.  James Brown, "I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing."  A powerful message set to powerful funk.

10.  Webbie, "Independent."  Because you are a baaad broad!  :)

There are countless others, but I'll stop here.  Feel free to share your own!

1 comment:

  1. On second thought, I probably should substitute #2 for MJB's "Work That."

    ReplyDelete