Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Holiday Shopping and Self-Addressed Presents

Okay, it's time to shop for Christmas gifts.  Arrgh.


There are less than 10 people on my list (my extended family is huge, so I just bake sweets for them), but it seems like it gets harder to find something unique for each of them every year.  How many wallets, sweaters and sports-related gifts can my dad stand?  While on day-long shopping runs for the family, it also seems harder to resist buying a couple of gifts for myself...

I used to feel a little guilty about this; I mean, isn't the holiday season about giving to others

Yes, it's about giving to the people you care about and the less fortunate.  Nevertheless, I believe that every independent woman should purchase a little something for herself as well.  You've made it through another year without screwing up your life.  Tyler Perry will never ask for the rights to your story.  You are blessed and you share your love with others.  You are successful in our own way.  Sister, reward yourself with a small token of self-love and appreciation, and don't have any grief about it.  I'm smiling right now about a watch that I gifted myself a few years ago.

If you don't have excess funds to spend on yourself, then give yourself the gift of time.  Too many women often go over and above for the people they love, never taking time for themselves.  Designate a day and make it all about doing the free or cheap items on your inner child's to-do list.  Turn off your cell.  Go to a museum, or spend time with a friend you haven't seen in ages.  Ice skate without caring who sees you fall.  It can be anything, as long as it doesn't require a lot of stress and drama.

Loving and acknowledging the person you've become may end up being the best gift you receive all season.  And you won't have to wait in a line at Old Navy to return it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment