Friday, May 11, 2012

Kitchen Lab: Dessert Pizza for Mother's Day

After an exhausting evening of dealing with my hair last night, I needed to whip up a relatively easy snack. Coincidentally, it ended up being something perfect for a Mother's Day brunch. This dessert pizza had to be divinely inspired, because I have no natural cooking skills, and it was almost 10 PM when I started gathering ingredients.

Blueberry Dessert Pizza Ingredients

Half a ball of pizza dough (I used Trader Joe’s)
Reduced-sugar apricot jam “juice”(Trader Joe’s)
¾ cup of frozen blueberries
Cinnamon
Sugar
Vanilla Extract
Goat cheese (I used Trader Joe’s Honey Chevre)

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
Spread the dough out on your pan of choice. I used a cast iron skillet.
Spread a light coating of apricot jam juice (you know, the excess liquid that sits on top), or actual jam over the dough like pizza sauce.
Splash about ¾ of a teaspoon of vanilla extract around the dough, smearing it into the jam juice. Sprinkle the blueberries over the dough.
Apply a generous dusting of cinnamon, then sugar, to the blueberries. Top with goat cheese crumbles. I used about a quarter of the container.
Put the pizza in the stove for 10 minutes. Check it, and put it back in for five more. Your cooking time may vary from mine if you are not using cast iron. 

If you really want to get your Martha Stewart on, add mint leaves in the middle for a splash of color after you remove the pizza from the oven.

Voila! So easy, so quick and so delicious. It was waaay better than I anticipated. Thank you, Jesus!

I should’ve taken a picture, but umm…I inhaled the whole thing. Don't judge me--there's all kinds of anti-aging antioxidants swimming in my system from the blueberries right now.

I would totally make this for my mom and grandma if I were headed home this weekend. If you are making this for a family of four, I would suggest doubling the recipe and using a whole ball of dough.  If you attempt it, send me a photo!

Bon appetit, and Happy Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment